Engine Swap Diary  Story So Far  Engine/ Drivetrain   Suspension / Brakes  Interior / Stereo   Body / Exterior   Image Gallery    

 

Jamex Daytona Seats

Well many moons ago I installed a Jamex Daytona driver's seat, I was going to do both but couldn't be bothered doing the passenger seat (I never sit in that one anyway) so it's just sat in the corner for the last year or so.

Anyway thought I'd show you guys the basic install procedure for these, so here goes!

The good thing about the passenger seat is that the bits that lock the rail are only on one rail, whereas on the driver's side they're on both. The crap thing about that is that with these seats you have to remove the cable that pulls the lever for the rail on the other side, so it now takes two hands to move the driver's seat back and forth because you have to do both rails, rather than just grabbing the lever

So anyway, one of the rails just unbolts, which is convenient


The second one needs to be cut off, as it's rivetted on. This is fairly easy, just gotta grind down the heads of the rivets and then knock the rail off. (you can only see the rivet on the left, there's also one in the middle and one on the right, but they're hidden by the slider)


After cutting that off I got my own form of ballache. There are little sliding bearings between the rail and the slider, and they have locking mechanisms on them that make them damn near impossible to put back in. Took me about half an hour to get the bastard back together.

So anyway, one of the holes left after unbolting the first rail can be used, but the other one needs to be drilled. The big PITA though is that the rails are further apart than the holes in the seat. The good thing is that with the holes closest to the tunnel lined up directly over the rail, the seat is actually centred. The bad thing is that the other side ends up like this:


So you've got to weld some plates onto the rail. Quite conveniently again, for the seat to be level this side needs to be lifted up about 5-10mm. The seat needs to be pushed as far toward the fuel tank as possible, and the outer rail has to be pulled toward the door as far as possible, to allow a bolt head to fit up into the seat without having to go through the middle of the rail. Here's the 6mm plates cut out (goddamn it took a long time to cut these, doesn't help not having a vice!). Before I can weld these on I need to drill them for the bolts, and bolt them to the seat so I can line it up properly. Unfortunately I don't have any drills good enough to do a proper job of it so I'll take them into the FSAE workshop and use the drill press tomorrow.


Here's what the other side looks like, all done. This is the closest shot you'll ever see of any welding of mine!


Update:
Finally finished this off, and despite my remarks earlier about my welding, I'm going to show you because it actually came out pretty good considering a) I suck at welding; and b) I used the world's cheapest ARC welder to do it.

I love the look of these seats, and they only weigh 6kg each! Nice and comfortable too.